Sunday, February 26, 2017


This week, we were essentially assigned to investigate our domestic news sources to see whether or not we think journalists are simply reporting what political leaders say, or if they are challenging it. My initial opinion was that most are simply reporting what they are told. However, I was pleasantly surprised. 

I went to one of the major news corporations, Fox News, which is primarily a conservative network. I initially thought they would not be challenging much of what President Trump or his campaign is saying because he is republican, but I was wrong. There was a news story I read on FoxNews.com about the selectivity of press the Trump’s campaign would allow into a specific event. I was happy to see that Fox News showcased multiple perspectives, and most that they reported on, were heavily against Trump's campaign media exclusion. Here is part of the quote they used from a statement by the Time’s executive editor, Dean Baquet; “Nothing like this has ever happened at the White House in our long history of covering multiple administrations of different parties. We strongly protest the exclusion of The New York Times and the other news organizations. Free media access to a transparent government is obviously of crucial national interest."


It was nice to see that Fox News is showcasing various opinions that are very challenging to the Trump campaign, especially since it is a conservative network.

3 comments:

  1. I came into this thinking the media just reports what they are told too! I also found an article where the media is challenging the status quo. I think it is interesting that you found an article on Fox News that challenges the claims made by Trump.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Abbey, like you I found some surprising clips. I think Fox News is often judged too harshly, and many people think that they do not ask good questions, but I have seen great discussions and tough questions asked by their contributors about both Republicans and Democrats. I was surprised to find a clip of a show on MSNBC challenging Hillary Clinton and some newspapers as well, because they are typically a left leaning network. It was nice to see some tough questions being asked in all of the clips that I found.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definitely nice to see, especially coming from Fox News. They only have such a bad reputation in journalism because they are blatantly biased towards one side rather than looking for the truth on both sides. Reports like this would benefit them in the long run and help to continue to pursue the truth on this and other administrations of power.

    ReplyDelete